Thursday, March 3, 2011

2 Paintings

Art class has been giving us challenging work lately. Our last assignment was exploring the difference between mediums and canvas size. When moving from a larger canvas size to a smaller one, much changes. Brushstrokes need to become more controlled, and precise. The composition needs to be more exact, you have less room to work with as well, making it difficult to really express yourself with the paint. With me i much prefer to be working on a larger canvas. It gives you more room to work; to breathe. It feels less isolated and trapped, and finding this out about ourselves was the purpose of the assignment. Here I have painted quite a simple clash of colours. I decided to go with a diagonal composition, really emphasizing the fluid change from green to red. With these colours being so different I really needed to be careful not to blend them, making a gross brown. With this being said, i had to let all layers dry before i painted any other colour on top of the green or vice versa. Eventually this becametedious, but i believe it turned out well. I really decided to focus on the direction of my brushstrokes. I tried to keep them broken, and spurratic, giving a very impressionistic feeling to my painting.


No comments: